Thursday 20 December 2012

Back to the BVI: Home for Christmas

We left St Martin lagoon at the last bridge opening for the day.  As we waited for the bridge to open, we hung by the super yachts, watching the crew of each boat either polish the metal work or glass, or scrub the decks.
The smallest boat here is 100ft
We zipped through the bridge and anchored out in the rolly anchorage that overlooks a beautiful beach with high rise hotels on all sides.  We had a short sleep, falling asleep to the sound of a reggae band playing on the beach.

At 3am, still groggy and tired, we left St Martin for the BVI.  I cuddled up in the cockpit and watched the lights of St Martin disappear over the horizon.  

After a long days sail we arrived in the BVI, crossing through the passage between Virgin Gorda and Fallen Jerusalem that we had left so many months ago.   We had come full circle.  Coincidentally, we had arrived in the BVI on the exact day we had arrived in the BVI by plane one year ago.

Fallen Jerusalem

The Baths at Virgin Gorda


We checked in at Spanish Town.  As we tied the dinghy up, I looked over to the boatyard where my Dad had spent six months doing up his boat before his voyage back to New Zealand back in 2008.  Somehow it seems so right to begin our voyage back to New Zealand from the same spot.  

BVI feels like home to us.  Everywhere I turn I am reminded of the time I spent here with my Dad, and also the memories of the months Gary and I spent here on Toodles at the beginning of our adventure.  

We headed straight for North Sound making it just before night fall.  We passed the Sandpit, a beach set up for cruise ships, where Gary and I had played late one night once it had been abandoned.  We anchored in our usual spot by Bitter End Yacht Club.  To celebrate our year anniversary, we headed in for dinner.  We tied up at the beautiful dinghy dock, such a contrast to what we have now become used to, with underwater lights and no exposed rusty nails.  The boardwalk looked just the same, and it reminded me of the picture of me and my Dad walking along it that Gary and I attempted to replicate earlier this year.




We had dinner under the stars by candlelight, with sand at our feet.  

In the morning I was greeted to a beautiful sunny day that was cool enough to enjoy sitting on deck in the sun reading a magazine.

We are home.  Just in time for Christmas.






No comments:

Post a Comment