Tuesday 17 January 2012

Kate's musings and the Moorings Base


Today, my former colleagues are heading back to work.  Until now, our trip has just felt like the usual long Christmas holiday that law firms kindly allow us.  But today, I suddenly feel like I should be in NZ getting ready to go back to work.  I’m thinking of the trials that are coming up, the openings I should be writing, and wondering about the progress of cases I’ve been working on.  I feel the need to call my poor colleague I dumped my cases on and see if she needs some assistance.  Over the last week I have been irritating Gary with legal theory discussions.  Trying to nut out and debate different legal issues that I had found interesting at work.  Gary, while being a very willing participant, thinks like an engineer and doesn’t have the legal background to be able to have a discussion on equitable doctrines that I can really get my teeth into. 

But while I may miss the intellectual stimulation of work, I can’t complain too much.  My toes, that have been shoved into high heel shoes for years, are finally regaining their natural shape.  My skin is slowly turning the deep brown I remember from my childhood after spending the summer on our family yacht.  I haven’t put on make up or straightened my hair for over a month.  The carefree wave of my hair reflects my new world outlook.

I am reminded of the night we signed the documents to buy the boat.  We were sitting at a fancy restaurant, looking out over the lights of the marina on one side, the sea on the other, and devouring Caribbean delights.  Gary was somewhat distant, his mind obviously somewhere else, while I sat back and enjoyed the moment.  “Aren’t you concerned” Gary asked me.  “We have just spent a huge amount of money on a boat, that we are going to have to sail across the pacific, and you don’t seem concerned at all”.  I took his question seriously, and dug deep.  But no, I didn’t have a hint of hesitation.  My reply to Gary was that I had been more concerned when the Senior Associate I idolised (and still do), asked me to go running with her.  I had spent days agonising over whether I would be able to keep up with her, waiting for the imminent mortification of collapsing 10 minutes into the run.  I even went on a practice run with Gary, just to make sure I would be able to run for the time and distance that she had indicated!  Perhaps from this example you can gauge the shift of my mindset.

But back to reality!  We are berthed at the Moorings Base in Road Town, in order to get a few things fixed and fitted.  Gary was able to park the boat absolutely perfectly.  We had to get into a tight spot, between a concrete pier and another boat.  But we glided in like it was on tracks and secured the lines.  Well done Gary.

We have had a very productive couple of days.  By the time we push off tomorrow (crossing fingers), we should have a new windlass fitted, our new e7 fitted at the starboard helm, a working autopilot, a properly wired in WiFi aerial, and have arranged all the details for the haul out and repair of the rudder post. 

Gary working on the electrics

Our new windlass
The Moorings Base

Moorings and Sunsail boats

I was also able to purchase a coffee plunger that we had been longing for all week.

We are hoping to head to North Sound on Virgin Gorda tomorrow, an anchorage we loved when we were here last time.  The forecast is for 25-30knts with a bit of a swell.  Should have an awesome trip up there.

P.S. For those who are interested, my Jambalaya worked out pretty well.  Definitely edible.
Katie caught getting into the Cheetos


No comments:

Post a Comment